Sunday, October 23, 2016

Nippon- Kyoto- Good deeds Kind people- Nara

*some of the info extracted from wikipedia and japan-guide*

12 Sep 2016- Kyoto Day 2
The highlight of our Japan trip was long awaited for this day, day we were in Kimono (着物, きもの), Japanese traditional garment. The word "kimono", which actually means a "thing to wear" (ki "wear" and mono "thing").
It is highly recommended to make booking on the kimono earlier to secure the slot as it takes time for the kimono process. From choosing your kimono, belt, handbag then staff assist in wearing process which took another 15-20mins, self make up plus last minute hairdo, not to mention the waiting time, it took us around 2 hours to get 6 girls all done in Kimono!
Our first stop of the day was Kinkakuji Temple (金閣寺,Golden Pavilion), a Zen temple in northern Kyoto whose top two floors are completely covered in gold leaf. An impressive temple built in the middle of pond, Kinkakuji was inspired for the similarly named Ginkakuji (Silver Pavilion).

 
My first Kimono look on temple with the ticket. Yeah, that's the ticket for entrance. The design of ticket is so special, looks like a talisman or rune something!  Because of our kimonos, we been quite popular among the tourists, some even taking picture with us or behind us. Sounds like popular celebrities with paparazzi! (*floating*) 

The second stop of the day was Arashiyama. 
The Togetsukyo Bridge (渡月桥, "Moon Crossing Bridge") 
Arashiyama's most iconic landmark
The area north of the Togetsukyo Bridge is also known as Sagano, while the name "Arashiyama" technically just refers to the mountains on the southern bank of the river but is commonly used to name the entire district. 
Bamboo Groves- walking paths
The groves are particularly attractive when there is a light wind and the tall bamboo stalks sway gently back and forth. It is blessed that the weather of the day was windy and chilling enough :)
It wasn't easy at all for me wearing the tight kimono and Japanese scandal walking up and down along the streets, taking bus and trains etc.
Show off xia my back with kimono :p
The girls w kimonos at bamboo groove. 
From the left, Li Kin, me, Geraldine, Yi Ting, Lai Ching and Candice. 
Spot any similarity? (There are two same kimonos here!!!)
 
The front picture of us on Kimono
Our lunch was after Bamboo Groove which was almost 4pm! I guess because of the kimonos, we didn't feel hungry at all and only realised that we have to be fed at the late noon. 
Along the way going to bus stop, we managed to spot two geisha (芸子), traditional Japanese female entertainers who act as hostesses and whose skills include performing various arts such as classical music, dance, games and conversation, mainly to entertain male customers. Or maybe they are the apprentice of geisha, maiko "dancing child" (舞妓) or generally  they did o-shaku (御酌), literally one who pours (alcohol).

After the late lunch, the girls went shopping along the street after returning the kimono while I went on a "self adventure" at Kyoto. 
The story started with my sport shoes went broken which I rely heavily on them during the trip. My first remedy was thinking to get a super glue to get my shoe fixed. Inside a convenient store, while I was trying hard to tell the staff I would like to have a super glue to stick on the shoes, there was a kind uncle helped me to translate. Gentle reminder, Kyoto is a small peaceful town, hence not everyone especially local residents are English spoken and literate. Well, continue on the story... I did manage to get the super glue however the kind uncle asked me to go for cobbler service instead and recommended me one which is quite popular and easily access, Mister Minit.
Along the way at the subway, I found out the outlet I was headed to, is a retail shoes store, they actually didn't provide any cobbler service. OH MY! In the middle of Kyoto subway, I was panic, where I should go? Should i give up and go back? No, I don't want to give up and insist to get it fixed anyway. I was braced enough asking a local japanese girl stood beside me, asking any nearest Mister Minit that do provide cobbler service. Instead of keep explaining me in Japanese which I totally don't understand, she brought me to the outlet inside Daimaru Departmental Store that she found from her cellphone. 
After ensuring myself was safe at the mall, then she left... I keep saying thank you and shake my hand with this kind girl! (*Thanks god! for sending me this girl*)
At the cobber shop, the staff not only provided me the cobbler service on last minute basis knowing that I am leaving Kyoto the next day but also didn't charge me a single yen! I can only nonstop saying Arigato Gozaimasu to the uncle and inside my heart feel so touched to meet such kind-hearted people.
After the shoes repairing service, I went back to the hostel and joined back with my girls and had a night tour at Kyoto street. A very nice concentrated soup Ramen nearby Gion street! *rolling tummy*
Gion (祇園) is Kyoto's most famous geisha district, located around Shijo Avenue between Yasaka Shrine in the east and the Kamo River in the west. It is filled with shops, restaurants and ochaya (teahouses), where geiko and maiko entertain.
 Hanami-koji
Along the street, the shops and restaurants aren't transparent at all and can see a lot of expensive cars entering the street. (I guess there are geisha/ maiko performance inside and of course you have to pay for it!)

13 Sep 2016- Nara
We heard so much stories about the deers at Nara from our roommate at Hakone Hostel hence we decided to pay a visit here! The six of us separated into 2 small groups, one going to Nara to see deers another one headed to Osaka to see fishes at aquarium.
Nara (奈良) is located less than one hour from Kyoto and Osaka. 
The park nearby the Nara Train station, which is 10mins away in walking distance.
Kofuku-ji Temple 興福寺
It is hard to miss the temple on our way up Noborioji Street on the way to Nara-koen Park as there the temple compound contains the towering pagoda.

 After walking around 10 mins, we reached Nara Park (奈良公園, Nara Kōen)!


The park is home to hundreds of freely roaming deer. Considered in Shinto to be messengers of the gods, Nara's nearly 1200 deer have become a symbol of the city and have even been designated as a natural treasure. 



Deer: Thanks for the cookie (bow)
Me: You are most welcomed! (moving backward)
Deer: Thanks again! (bow again)
Me: It is ok! My pleassure (moving further backward)
Nara's deer are surprisingly tame, although they can be aggressive if they think you will feed them. Deer crackers are for sale around the park, and some deer have learned to bow to visitors to ask to be fed. Yeah I was a bit scared thinking they are way of aggresive end up they actually bow after I fed them crackers (the crackers actually smell good!).
Around 430pm, while the weather a bit drizzling, we decided to walk back to the Nara train station and headed to our next destination, Osaka!
Good Bye Nara! See you and you (deers) again! 

1 comment:

  1. *some of the info extracted from wikipedia and japan-guide*

    did u went to this place or just google information and paste here only?

    regards,
    your boss

    ReplyDelete